Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mapping Life (unfinished)

Step ONE

Generate a series of self reflective/life lists for the following (post to blog or if of a private nature email to your professor). Due Friday, February 24

Lived locations [birth to current]
    significant memories of spaces in or around your different homes
I lived in Conroe my whole life in2 houses and 1 apartment
  My parents lived in an apartment when I was born. I have only two memories from that apartment. One being when I was still a baby. I can remember being in my crib and everyone looking at me. My other memory is always trying to get a home video to play on the VCR. It was an old home video of family. It was me when I was younger and trying to walk.
     We moved to a house and my littlbe brother was born. I have various memories from getting bit from a swarm of mosquitoes to having to turn the shower on with a pair of pliers.
     After that house, we rented a house that we later bought and renovated. We have lived there over 17 years. We have put a large amount of money fixing up the house.
Significant relationships in each location
    The nature of the relationship
1. Physical
2. Emotional
3. Spiritual
    How those relationships changed from location to location and as you aged

Significant things said to you that you can almost still hear in your head.
    Both positive and negative
Educational experiences--schools
    considering early childhood, late, pre adolescence, adolescence, early adulthood –
    may project into your future – adulthood, old, not dead yet, dead
1. Significant peers [why?] both positive/negative
2. Significant adults [why?] both p/n
3. Significant things said to you that you can almost still hear in your head. Both p/n
4. Significant objects [why?]
5. Significant cause [why?]
Pre-K-4th grade- Sam Houston Elementary (original building)
     My first day of school was filled with uncertainty. I made somewhat friends with Jordan the first day. I later made friends with Dashaun and Treshaun, both twins that we could NEVER tell apart. I made a friend in the class next door named Jerri. Me and her rode the bus together. My teacher for Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten teacher was Mrs. StVinge. Mrs. StVinge and I formed a teacher-student relationship and kept in contact with her till my senior year in high school as well as Dashaun and Treshaun.
     My 1st grade teacher was Mrs. Flippo. In first grade, I showed that I was smarter and wanted to learn more than the rest of the class. Because of this, she showed and taught me more than the rest of the class. After the school year, she sent me videos on how to do math so that I can be prepared for the 2nd grade.
     My 2nd grade teacher was actually 2. We switch classes in the middle of the day. Ms McCormick taught math, science and history, Mrs. Henderson taught Language Arts. I HATED 2nd grade. Both teachers were just flat out bitchy about everything. But then, salvation, a new teacher was hired and students were needed to  form her class. I was picked to be in Mrs. Nelson's class. She was a much nicer teacher than the other two.
   My 3rd grade also had 2 teachers.Mrs. Nicholson taough scienece, math and social studies and was a kind teacher. I forgot my language Arts teacher's name. =/ She was a bitch anyway, haha.
     My 4th grade ALSO had two teachers. (I'm guessing this is why transition to Jr high and high school wasn't much of a change for me) Mrs. York & Mrs. Pugh      

5th grade-6th grade Reeves Intermediate School
-Most of my friends in Sam Houston Elementary were Hispanic and because of residential zones, they all
  went to a different intermediate school and we just pretty much stopped being friends which led me knowing
  few people when I went to Reeves.
     5th grade-
     6th grade-

7th and 8th grade Peet Jr High School
     7th grade-
     8th grade-

9th, 10th, 11th, 12th Conroe High School

College level Sam Houston State University


My parents rarely let me go out. Because of this, I gradually started losing friends one by one becasue they all went out to places and I had to stay home. My weekends consisted of watching Comedy Central and working outside while my friends partied and saw movies. it wasn't before long that I just got stopped getting invited to go out with friends. As you can tell, this had an impact on my social skills a bit. I haven't suffered the death of a family member, a friend, or someone close to me yet, and I hope it stays that way. I sometimes get made fun of by my cousins for saying things or jokes or by using a word that has more than 6 letters. I didn't want to deal with bullcrap so I kept quiet. But then I got made fun of for being quiet. I know they're family, but how can I talk to them when they laugh at anything I say? Yeesh, I can't even say I'm in college without them saying, "Oh, so you think you're better than us?"

I couldn't really go out much, so I don't have much experiences of belonging. I did have a good friend named Matt that lived on the other side of the street that I ate over and slept over when I was younger. HIs family treated me like I was their son. My half-sister liked taking out with her friends to places like Six Flags and movies. Fun times, yo. But dispite all this, we all have a sense of belonging when we talk to people that have the same interest as us.  It just takes one, "Wanna come?", and you know you belong.
    
    
Experiences of loss or absence
Experiences of joy or belonging
Career
1. Significant peers [why?] both positive/negative
2. Significant adults [why?] both p/n
3. Significant things said to you that you can almost still hear in your head. Both p/n
4. Significant objects [why?]
5. Significant cause [why?]
Spiritual evolution/path. Changes over time? [why? who influenced changes?]
Sexuality or gender evolution/path or relationship to the body
Achievements
Pain or crisis or losses
Dreams, hopes or desires
Other threads to possibly also explore in terms of the evolution of these things in your life
1. Character
2. Limitations
3. Passion
4. Strengths
5. Abilities and competencies
6. Fears
7. Calling
8. Understanding of people
9. Understanding of culture
10. Understanding of heritage
11. Ancestral heritage
12. Materialism
13. Goals
14. Why do you want to be an artist, animator, designer
(when did that desire begin; what fanned the flame and kept it going)
15. Within your field what specific things are you interested in?
(when did the desire or compulsion begin; what fanned the flame and kept it going)
Are these changing? How so?
16. Personal narrative, quotes, journal entries, poetry, song lyrics, etc

No comments:

Post a Comment