Saturday, February 26, 2011

Modular Madness Self Crit

 Before my final idea, I wanted the "tentacles" to come up from the ground and attack the viewer.
 But I came up with this idea instead of having it stand on its "tentacles" Although, I will make the piece be able to have both the creeping idea and the attacking tentacle idea.
 Each section is cut individually to custom fit and give the flowness of a tentacle.
 But this particular section wanted to be a pain in the ass.
The piece in the W.A.S.H. building on display. During the crit, I was told that I should finish it. That it needs to be finished. It yearns to be finished. Well I plan to have this idea creeping from my head to crawling into real life standing tall.










MATERIALS

  1. I believe alot can be done with just using pencils. You can use the full length of it to stack up a log-style tower or cut them up and use the pieces to cover an area.
  2. The piece could be done using different materials. It would give unique versions if many copies of a understructure were made and then covered with different materials such as pens or the bottom end of a cup.
  3. The only difficulty is just the sheer number of pieces that I have to cut and number of pencils I have to sharpen. The pencil sharpener overheating also proved to be an annoyance.
  4. You will get dirty when making this piece
PROCESS/AMBITIOUSNESS

  1. When completed, I do know that the piece will rise above the ordinary in terms of effort and amount of material used.
  2. The idea in my head changed many more times than I can count. First forks, then spoons, then pencils, then pencil tips, then on to how it will be made and how it will look like
  3. I beilieve that the final piece is more ambitious then the first concept I came up with. My first concepts didn't require thousands of pieces to be glued on or cut.
CRAFTSMANSHIP

The sectioned "legs" help give it that tentacle look that I was trying to achieve. The odd-shaped "head" helped give it that abstract look because it doesn't really look like anything and people see different things.
FORM

  1. Well, when done, the piece will have many points! It has plenty of texture, the different sized pencil pieces keep the texture from being uniform and boring. These elements are important to the piece. Without them, I have no idea how it would even look like.
  2. The sections of the "legs" are repetitive. The "legs" have a line of spikes running down each one hat are continuing all the down to the bottom. The piece is put together well enough that it can stand on its own and be balance of right side up or upside down. Or maybe there is no top or bottom to it? Hmmm...
CONCEPT

  1. I intended the piece to be a thoughts coming together to creep from your mind. 
  2. There was some cardboard and a pencil shaprener in the psace behind it to show where some of the piece's origins came from.
PRESENTATION

  1. I wanted the area behind the piece to be the random bits of information in one's head. Each little bit of information comes together slowly to create an idea that slowly creeps from your mind.
  2. The are behind is what's known. The piece itself is the new idea from what was known.
  3. The cluttered area looks as if it is the home to the piece. Although some may just see that the piece was put in a bad place.
  4. The piece next to it also had "tentacle-like" or "vine-like" appendages. The piece next to mine dwarfs my piece and makes it appear smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment